Happy Heisman Saturday Reader! Sometime before tonight's ceremony, take just a minute to envision what it'll be like this time next year as we await the inevitable presentation to Adriel Jeremiah Green. Maybe it's just me, but I imagine him wearing a red tie.
Then of course our smiles will fade just a little as we watch him play his last game as a Dawg.
Ok. Back to Christmas Present. Practice starts today, which means that the team will be prepping for Texas A&M finally. But it also means Coach Richt will finally be in front of some microphones and digital voice recorders. Sure, we can't really expect to hear much. But I'll be eager to hear him dodge questions.
Some thoughts on the DC search:
- Wherever CMR is in the process, it looks like we can't really expect to hear anything before Tuesday.
- Since the position is quite obviously Smart's to accept or pass on, we can expect some kind of response from CMR as to what kind of conversation they have had.
- FWIW...the prospective Nat'l Chumps are still at least a little nervous about losing Smart.
- Many thanks to someone at Let's Go Guins for clearing up the Mark Stoops rumor on Wednesday. We figured the 80% chance was much closer to ZERO, but the somewhat anonymous commenter hit the nail on the head.
- Since that commenter was right about Stoops, we can only assume that the Visor will now be looking for a new OL coach and running game coordinator.
- Although I've personally written one potential candidate off, Westerdawg compiles some numbers that beg consideration.
- Although I still hold out hope for Smart...the million dollar question is what happens after he says no?
- I've stated that if that should happen, all bets are off. Coach Richt has done very well filling holes on his staff, and many of them have seemingly come from thin air.
- There are rumors out there that after Smart, the name that will surface to the top will come from the Big XII. To read more on that, click here ($$).
Spotlight: Travis Jones
current: assistant DL coach for New Orleans Saints
Jones is a popular name among message boarders as a former Dawg with a strong resume and even better recruiting experience. A former defensive captain 'tween the hedges, Jones was a four-year letterman during the Goff years. Since his playing days he has cut his coaching teeth under Nick Saban at LSU and with the Miami Dolphins.
Although he has never coordinated a defense, he has coached both LBs and defensive lineman as well as developed a legendary record as a recruiting coordinator while in Baton Rouge.
Although I doubt CMR would hire an unexperienced DC at this point, Jones could be an intriguing name. Getting him to jump from the NFL back to the college ranks would be difficult from a workload standpoint. But a phat checkbook could get him to the table. And it would definitely be worth a phone call. He's a Georgia native and still runs football camps during the off-season for Georgia youth.
So...what do you think?