Despite my worst efforts, it still appears Texas A&M could be the next team to never make it to the SECCG. That should make Ole Miss grateful for the company. Of course, there's a lot of dealings to be done out the back door between now and the end of this chapter in Jim Delaney's memoirs.
And as I wondered what the conversation must've been like between Slive and Aggie A&M AD Bill Byrne, I kept thinking of when Sean Connery was indoctrinating Kevin Costner into the Chicago way. After all, the SEC isn't the play-safe jungle gym with the rubberized wood chips that the Big XII
Slive - You wanna get to Atlanta? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. Saban sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. THAT'S the Southeastern way.
Byrnes - I have sworn to switch conferences with all the legal powers at my disposal and I will do so.
Slive - Well...the Lord hates a coward. (shakes his new ADs hand) Do you know what a blood oath is Byrnes?
Byrnes - Yes.
Slive - Good. Cuz you just took one.
Let's hope there's a lot of self-examination going on in College Station (and wherever else). Because you can't just be a lot of talk and a badge when you tee it up with the big boys.
- PWD says wait a freakin' minute...
- Exile wonders why the Big XII has to die, even if Texas and it's band of bandits become 49ers.
- A read through of Chip Brown's (of Orangebloods, a Texas Rivals site) Twitter status updates seems to confirm that the Big XII ain't dead yet. (h/t DawgSports) As well as the fact that AD Byrne wasn't even in the state of Texas.
- And Big XII nearly lame duck commissioner Dan Beebe has a plan to keep the remaining ten together according to Chuck Carlton. Apparently it involved something more in depth than joining hands and singing We Are Family!.
- As The Lady Sportswriter predicted, Jarvis Jones is as close as ever to becoming a Dawg. Whether it's us or Bimbo Swisher, I just hope that Carver hatchet gets buried a little further.
- Speaking of LB recruits...I'm not holding my breath.
- Hale reminds us of the importance of the OL this fall and why exactly Richard Samuel is feeling at home, finally.
- I like it when Streit goes way (WAY!!) back in the vault for his countdown posts.
- Meanwhile, Scott found some good video of some guys slower than Cornelius Washington to celebrate 83 days left.
- On Saturday morning I found myself agreeing with Erik Kuselias on USCs crime and (lack of) punishment. ECDawg was listening as well and sums it up nicely.
- This Petrino Piggy better be lucky he's not in Athens, riding a scooter.
- Lastly, the story about the Memphis QB's daddy opening his checkbook is the most ridiculously realistic story about where all this expansion/realignment mess leaves us. As The Senator says, it's enough to make you go brown. (UPDATE: FedEx says Smith can't buy BCS love)
And when it all comes to pass, it will be the bottom line that helps the movers and shakers make the decisions. If the SEC stands pat, I'll be pleased. Should Slive bust a move, then I'll come to accept it as fact, eventually. Meanwhile, the new SEC fans will be like kids in a candy store. More money...and better looking alumni and coeds sitting across the field.
For a better understanding, just listen to this old Dire Straits song from the vantage point of those gig em fans dreaming of a day when they too are SEC fans...and substitute SEC anytime your hear MTV.
Yeh, in the SEC our coeds wear sundresses and strap baggies of bourbon to their thighs. And the dudes have drumsticks and guitars that glow neon. So it's not just your football team that needs to pick up the slack if a trip to Atlanta or even an at-large BCS bid is to be earned.
So while you wait on something to happen or not to happen, enjoy your meatloaf Reader. And remember to keep an ear out for news on LeMay. This could get interesting as well.
Here's your napkin.