...hate the nerd that forsake it for a grilled cheese while World of Warcraft was on pause.
I hope you all had a chance to take in that ESPN 30 for 30 piece on Marcus Dupree. If recruiting intrigues you in the least and if college football is where your heart is, you'll be mesmerized. Dude was big, and fast. Electric with the ball. A small town boy from more than modest means in rural Mississippi had the football world in the palm of his hands.
And if you watched it, you'll also enjoy this piece by Patrick Garbin. He takes the ESPN documentary and weaves in some UGA football threads as he can only do. Like how close Dooley was to replacing Herschel with Dupree, not once but twice.
Dupree's tale from the early to mid 80s is especially timely given the recent allegations surrounding Cam Newton's recruitment and the ever growing presence of professional representation in college athletics. In the end, Dupree only became the best that never was. I hope young athletes have the chance to see the Marcus Dupree that is looking back today on his youth with more than a tinge of regret.
- What a great, dramatic, come from behind, last second win for Coach Fox's Hoop Dawgs, ending a long road loss skid.
- Not many beat guys were there in St. Louis, but Exile had ya covered from just off the hardwood.
- Hate Week is officially underway with Weiszer's teleconference notes on both CMR and PJs.
- Kit explains exactly why an entire week is needed for all the hate in a series as lopsided as the number of times I've won an argument with the wife.
- The NFL will soon put a definitive value on AJ Green. Until then, the Senator finds a way to evaluate how much his suspension hurt.
- Big Muddy finds the nerds in panic mode after watching the Duke QB (what's his name?) go all Blue Devil on their secondary...and also a source that put Aaron Murray at his own coach's field. Wonder if he got a free hotdog with his ticket...
- Quinton wonders if Coach Richt can swim in the deep end McGarity has thrown him in. Sports & Grits agrees but also sees the Kickoff Classic matchup as a recruiting bonus.
- And since it's almost that season, ecdawg has some interesting coaching rumors.
- In case you missed it, Paschall explains that Kris Durham may not be done playing, yet.
- Mikel Leshoure didn't need steroids or a corked bat to make history at Wrigley Field.
You have to understand your enemy folks. Sometimes you need to breathe the air they breathe, try and walk in their shoes...protect your pocket for realz.
So with that in mind and a bye week at hand, we got out the hammer, the ladder and a pile of lumber and I helped Dad with some measurements. Could we engineer a treehouse? If so, would it resemble a wrambled wreck? More importantly, would we be too exhausted afterward to drink the celebratory beer?
But after a day full of calculations and wood scraps at our feet, we had a couple of happy kids but no better understanding of nerdom. So I guess I'll just have to continue on as one who can't understand the triple option no more than a Saturday night in mom's basement.
It just goes to show you Reader...you can make the kids happy, but you don't have to lather on the pimple cream to do it. Tune in later this week as we continue to get our hate on. Until then, here's your fork. It's algorithm free.