In other words, she's on doctor ordered vacay, bless her heart. Meanwhile I've become reacquainted with where the linen closet is, how to manage two kids by myself that like to pretend to hate each other and how to stuff their little faces with leftovers so that you can hear the coverage of the 18th hole of the Wells Fargo Championship on the tv.
I'm actually missing the wife's voice. Sure it was nice the first day or so not having her yell at me to turn the volume down on the TV. But now when I hear the ting-a-ling!! upstairs...wait a moment...and then hear the TING-AAAA-LING!!!!...well, that means I have to pause whatever's on, get off the sofa, climb the stairs, walk over to her bedside and lean down real close.
All so I can hear her whisper, "Turn the tv down!" Only wives can still use exclamation points with their whispers.
"Ok Honey." Then once I believe I am out of her narcotic ear range I whisper back, "Can I reheat you some leftovers yet?"
- Lots of great UGA Athletics news, mostly from yesterday afternoon.
- Let's start with the Diamond Dawgs, who overcame a seemingly impossible deficit to avoid an Auburn sweep in Opelika. Thanks in part to a Kyle Farmer grandslam and a 9 run 9th inning, the Dawgs won 14-11.
- Next, Russell Henley may have had a harder time selecting a Mother's Day card than winning the Stadion Classic in Athens.
- And the softball team showed some muscle in beating MSU yesterday.
- Hedges to Hardwood has a hoops update that includes the latest on Kevin Ware.
- Exile bids farewell to Seve Ballesteros, who passed away over the weekend.
- So Stephen Garcia graduated from South Crackalacky. I didn't even know they offered double majors in Wasting of Talent and Abject Debauchery.
- the Senator brings to light a developing story I saw on an ESPN Outside the Lines feature yesterday. It's pretty awkward in the world of Nebraska athletics these days. I wonder how many collegiate athletic programs are paying attention.
- There's a quote in this piece about the HillBilly's passing game that begs the question: What will the receivers catch the football with this Fall?
- You fellow Gwinnettians should've been pulling for Mucho Macho Man in the Derby Saturday. The hometown horse did us proud.
- Lastly, the quiet you hear out of Ohio is from Buckeye fans realizing that they may be setting the new standard on college football programs out of control.
- UPDATE: Univ. of Alabama NYC is having a silent auction tomorrow to raise money for the tornado victims. The items are naturally Crimson Tide based, but also included is a Tracy Wolfson sideline experience that can be used at any CBS game during the season. You don't have to be present to win. (h/t Kerri)
No word yet on if Uncle Verne's knee is part of the experience.
At the risk of hurting Rashard Mendenhall's feelings, can we now turn the Navy Seals on the NBA? After getting the kids to bed last night and fluffing the wife's pillow a little, I went downstairs and (quietly...very cognizant of the volume...) turned on the tv to get the golf highlights. It was a great finish up in Charlotte and I wanted to see it again and hear some soundbytes.
Instead I was treated to one of the sickest displays I've ever seen in sports. Move over Kent Hrbek, the LA Lakers are pulling your fat, tired ass off the bag.
I'm on record as not a fan of pro sports, mostly across the board. The NBA is at the top of that list. I don't enjoy the lack of rules, the lack of education in the majority of its workforce and the "Me Mentality" on display is a bad example for our kids and our society as a whole. So I'm a little upset with myself that I would be so surprised that the Lakers, who are supposed to be the gold standard of champions in the league would resort to bullying and flat out assault at the end of their season.
If you call yourself an NBA fan today, please watch the league closely. Those thugs should be spending time in jail to start next season. However if they're on the hardwood instead, use your voice and your remote to take a stand. There's no room for that in sports. And a league office that condones that type of behavior in any way doesn't deserve its own fans' time and money.
And don't be surprised if Seal Team 6 makes a run at their compound. I bet that Bynum beeatch would even use his lady as a human shield. Coward punk. As for you Reader...better late than never. Here's your fork, dig in.