Thanks Steven Spurrier, but...in a word...No!
Look, I'm sorry colleges rake in dollars like oak leaves in October just from gate receipts on Fall Saturdays. I'm sorry the players that actually risk life and limb on the actual playing field see little to nothing of that money. Players want a piece of the pie that coaches and admins have been eating from. In way I don't blame them with some of the benjamins that are getting thrown around lately.
But without getting too political and philosophical...I'm not an entitlement person. And this is just an I'm entitled to... debate. The players make the plays that now get shown on both local and national television shows. They also put butts in the seats and create revenue from jersey sales.
But they're getting a free education. Isn't that still worth something nowadays?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
More readings on the topic:
- Seven coaches voted for and 5 against. (Chizik evidently thought it should be closer to $200K)
- Current and former players support the head cock as well.
- Richt points out it would be more complicated than Spurrier suggested.
- NCAA prez Emmert agrees.
- ALSO...vote in the poll to the left.